[worldKit-dev] Big Blue Marble Next Generation

David Smith dsmith at sitemeter.com
Fri Jan 27 06:30:38 PST 2006

Has anyone created the zoomify images for worldkit using the latest
satelite Blue Marble images?

They now go all the way down to a 500 meter per pixel resolution and there
are separate images for each month of the year.

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_set.php?categoryID=2355

I selected one month at the 500 meter resolution and started working with
the images and found that I'd probably have to process one eight of the
the world at a time (because the resolution is so high) and then write a
script to rename the zoomify images that were created for each eighth. But
that was as far as I got.

So, I decided to just use the 2km resolution. When I was finished, I
discovered the images were really too dark to use. None of the image
editing programs I have can handle a 21600x10800 size JPG so I couldn't
lighten them up.

Anyone make any better progress with them?

-=David