[worldKit-dev] Big Blue Marble Next Generation

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 03:47:39 PST 2006

A processed tiling of BMNG would be a great resource for worldKit users.

I've heard of this being attempted, just sent out some queries to see how they got on.

For the 500 meter resolution imagery, I speculate that the Zoomifyer tool wouldn't be practical, exhausting memory. (maybe that's an understatemnet)
It would be possible to script, using ImageMagick .. though again, the problem with JPEG is that the entire file must be loaded into memory for it to be decompressed.

How large is the 500 meter image? Is it a JPEG, or another format?

Wouldn't necessarily need to rename the images according to Zoomify's scheme. Each image could be saved to a file identifying its N/S/E/W bounding box. worldKit could be configured to access these files via <wms>

For the 2k imagery you processed, you could script post processing on the tiled images with ImageMagick, adjusting the brightness.

Another possibility is to use public WMS servers hosting BMNG imagery. This of course is not as reliable as having your imagery.

Mikel