[worldKit-dev] multiple events at single locations

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 02:32:45 PST 2006

> 1.) Using <window>_javascript:foobar</window> I get the lat, long, and id from the annotation click, but the  link is missing.

Yes, this is a bug. It will be fixed in the current refactor.

(the cause of this bug was a mistaken reference to a non-existant class property. In Actionscript 2.0, that will cause a compile error .. so another benefit of moving to 2.0)

> 2.) I want RSS 1.0 (RDF) for GeoRSS with one geo:lat and geo:long in each <item>, and then include several plants
> collected at that point. Any pointers?

You are looking for an RDF vocabulary or XML namespace to represent species?  I've seen bits and pieces about this from time to time (ecology and environmental monitoring is also a big interest of mind, and one of the motivations in developing worldKit).

Have you seen iSpecies? It combines several species data search engines into one interface http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/ispecies/
The developer runs a blog at http://ispecies.blogspot.com/. While there's no evidence of a common vocabulary or namespace, I suspect this is something he's looked into, and may be able to suggest some pointers.

It's a bit off topic for this list, but I'm definitely interested to hear if you turn up anything useful.

> More about me:
 >
 > I work at the city of Riverside, California and I'm trying worldKit for mapping locations of plant collections from San Jacinto
> Mountains on the Riverside Museum pages.

Great stuff. When you publish these maps, let us know, would be nice to feature on the worldKit Examples page.

  >I have a blog http://ravengis.com

Read a few entries. Your question on giving a choice of GMaps or worldKit...

http://brainoff.com/gmaps/mgeorss.html

MGeoRSS is a extension to Google Maps to plot RSS. Though I'm a naturally a big fan of worldKit, I'm pretty agnostic about which platform people choose. However, for syndicating geographic data, GeoRSS is essential, and I'm trying to get all platforms on board .. it's the next step to a Geospatial Web, map aggregators, and projects like http://recovery2.net/.

MGeoRSS is very very pre-release,  but should work in some circumstances.

Mikel