[worldKit-dev] set attributes for single items

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 09:59:49 PST 2006

> As you say it's not possible to assign single items their own colour. So I
> guess I have two possibilities: Either assign each element a distinct
> category and load a dynamically created config.xml with the respective
> colours, or define a reduced set of colours as categories and assign each
> map element to the category which represents its range of values. I guess
> the second is the simpler option.
>
> @Mikel: Do you have plans for sth. related in the new version?

I've considered the possibility of including configuration commands directly in the RSS,
and have decided against on a loosely held principle of seperation of content and presentation,
and keeping GeoRSS clean.

I would go with that generally, but your usage certainly seems to suggest including some configuration
directly within RSS items -- ie it's unnecessarily complex to produce a configuration file
specific to the contents of the RSS.

As an aside, the Yahoo Maps Simple API supports specifying some presentation directly in the feed
[ http://developer.yahoo.net/maps/simple/V1/reference.html ]

We'd need to define a namespace for worldkit config options [xmlns:worldkitConfig="http://worldkit.org/doc/rss.php" ],
and determine which config options could appear in an RSS item (pretty much the same list as the options that can be
categorized).

The coding would be straightforward. Add a bit of processing to the RSS parser, and the annotation class.
I can make suggestions on how to code that if you or anyone wants to pick that up.

Cheers, Mikel