[worldKit-dev] AS3 / Flex Version?

William Thorp bill3000 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 17 10:03:59 PDT 2007

Hello all

Until now, I've gotten no feedback on the idea.  I had just begun porting the source to AS3 when I discovered ModestMaps has an AS3 port, and provided a quicker path to where I needed to go.  I'd be happy to share my trivial start at porting WorldKit -- mostly search-and-replace type stuff -- I believe I've left the source in a very broken mix between the AS2 API and AS3 syntax.  I haven't checked out http://osflash.org/projects/as3converter.

As for Flash vs. Flex vs. OpenLaszlo, I'd recommend straight AS3 code.  This is usable in Flash or Flex.  You can use the free Flex SDK with a text editor and compile this for free (beer).  Supposedly Flex compiler itself is MPL'ed, but take that with a grain of salt (free speech?).  I've never used OpenLaszlo.  I understand that it cannot compile AS3 code, merely its own LZX language.  This means you don't get to use the full AS3 feature set.  E4X and zlib support are terrific features in AS3; features I wouldn't want to give up.

To me, the big reason to port WorldKit to AS3 is to have code-level configuration abilities, not its holistic mapping functionality.  I need to do a good deal more than show a map + geoRss.  Flash 9 / Flex projects can load older Flash AS2 SWFs (it can load WorldKit as is), but they can't interact with older SWFs programmatically.  If WorldKit imagines itself to be configurable primarily through the XML configuration files -- and if this is mainly how it is intended to be used -- I don't see much use in porting it anywhere.

I have found myself more at home in the ModestMaps world: their BSD licensing and code-level configuration makes more sense for my projects.  ModestMaps is still very wet-behind-the-ears, but I can live with that.  My apologies if I sound like an advertisement, I have nothing to do with ModestMaps.  I guess I'm saying "I don't really need WorldKit anymore."  This admittion is perhaps telling -- Flex has some really nice UI features you can't get in Flash 8 -- if WorldKit waits for 95% Flash Player 9 adoption before they being porting, they might loose some of their developer audience.

- Bill Thorp