[worldKit-dev] use of GDA94 in world kit

Matt McClelland matt at wildcolour.com
Wed Jun 14 21:32:25 PDT 2006

Thanks Mikel

OK my head is about to explode - I have not done this much math since ....
well, every really.

I found an article on redearn formula that is used to convert between GDA9A
Northing and easting to LAT and LONGS.  I then wrote and and PHP file to
convert "BBOX=" values to northings and eastings to request the correct
file.  And it seems to work well.  (there is a problem with zooming west of
King island - as the server does not seem to allow request outside of zone
55 - so don't go west of king Island.

The script outputs a KML file for google earth to create an overlay - seems
to work well.  But for this to work with world kit I think I need to pass an
image not a xml file with the location of the image.  So next step is to
pull out the PHP book again and learn how to pass and image file - unless
you have a better idea. (I would rather not have to load the image into the
server and then send it again - this would be very slow)

The script still have a little bit of tweeking you may notice the top of the
map is stretched out a bit.

I have attached the KML file to play with  --  remember to zoom right into
Tasmania Australia (that is under downunder)

Matt  :)