[worldKit-dev] Big Blue Marble Next Generation

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 02:38:19 PST 2006

> >Wouldn't necessarily need to rename the images according to Zoomify's>scheme.
> >Each image could be saved to a file identifying its N/S/E/W
> >bounding box. worldKit could be configured to access these files via ><wms>
>
> Maybe I don't undestand how that works. I was thinking that after zoomify
 > processes the 8 files, they all have overlapping filenames because it
> processed them thinking that there was just one file (and not 8). The
> files would need to be renamed so that the tiles had the right name within
> the full world view (instead of the 1/8th world view as the come out of
> the zoomify processor).

Yes that's right. You'd also need to produce tiles at lower resolution (ie composting those 8 files together to get a world view).

It's entirely possible to organize these files for use in Zoomify -- it just takes a bit of decoding of Zoomify's file naming structure.

(My other suggestion was to bypass Zoomify altogether, and script the tiling completely using ImageMagick, into a naming structure representing WMS calls)

-Mikel