[worldKit-dev] Big Blue Marble Next Generation

David Smith dsmith at sitemeter.com
Sat Jan 28 10:15:20 PST 2006

>For the 500 meter resolution imagery, I speculate that the Zoomifyer tool
>wouldn't be practical, exhausting memory. (maybe that's an nderstatemnet)
>It would be possible to script, using ImageMagick .. though again, the
>problem with JPEG is that the entire file must be loaded into memory for
>it to be decompressed.
>How large is the 500 meter image? Is it a JPEG, or another format?

They give you the full size 500 meter file in in another format (I can't
remember what it was) but they also give you the option of getting it as 8
21600x21600 JPEG files (two rows of four) and Zoomify can process that
size fine. Each of the 8 files is from 11-36 MB and the resulting disk
space taken up by one month of tiles at 500 meter resolution is around 450
MB. The entire year would be about 5.5 GB.

>Wouldn't necessarily need to rename the images according to Zoomify's
>scheme. Each image could be saved to a file identifying its N/S/E/W
>bounding box. worldKit could be configured to access these files via ><wms>

Maybe I don't undestand how that works. I was thinking that after zoomify
 processes the 8 files, they all have overlapping filenames because it
processed them thinking that there was just one file (and not 8). The
files would need to be renamed so that the tiles had the right name within
the full world view (instead of the 1/8th world view as the come out of
the zoomify processor).

>For the 2k imagery you processed, you could script post processing on the
> tiled images with ImageMagick, adjusting the brightness.

I haven't used ImageMagick but I'll give it a try and see if I can get it
to work for me.

-=David