[worldKit-dev] set attributes for single items

Bruce Thomas rheotaxis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 06:56:13 PST 2006

Right, <plotsize> and <initialplotcolor> appear in the configuration file
only, while <item> appears in the RSS feed. In your case you want a
different symbol for each <item>? It might be that "mulitple categories"
will be enough for you. Let's say you have 100 items. You could produce a
distinct symbol for each by using 10 different colors and 10 different
sizes, because 10 x 10 = 100, right?

You could test the following in your configuration file:

<plotsize>3
 <1>1</1>
 <2>2</2>
 <3>3</3>
 <4>4</4>
 <5>5</5>
 <6>6</6>
 <7>7</7>
 <8>8</8>
 <9>9</9>
 <10>10</10>
</plotsize>

<initialplotcolor>0xAA3371
  <A>0x33AF17</A>
  <B>0x21FF33</B>
  <C>0x5781A3</C>
  <D>0x8157A3</D>
  <E>0xFF3321</E>
  <F>0x17AF33</F>
  <G>0x3521FF</G>
  <H>0xA317FF</H>
  <J>0x0013FF</J>
  <K>0x1300FF</K>
</initialplotcolor>

Then in the RSS each item would have two <dc:subject> elements
<item>
 <title>San Francisco Earthquake</title>
 <link>http://example.com/quake</link>
 <geo:lat>37.74</geo:lat>
 <geo:long>-122.42</geo:long>
 <dc:subject>A</dc:subject>
 <dc:subject>7</dc:subject>
</item>

You could adjust your sizes and colors, then assign each item its own
category combination, A1, A2, A3,...B1,B2, B3,...K7,K8,K9,K10. Of course,
using <icon> elements with mulitple categories might be another solution for
you too.