[worldKit-dev] worldKit is now open source

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 02:58:02 PDT 2005

--- Discussion of worldKit use and development
<worldkit-dev at lists.brainoff.com> wrote:

> It depends on what your commercial interests are. How did you make
> money
> with Worldkit? What is the reason for OS-ing it? How do you want to
> make
> money with the open version?

I wouldn't say my interests with worldKit are commercial any longer;
now I simply want to set things up to sustain development. worldKit has
been a commercial product. A license was required for use in any for
profit endeavor, including intranets. This was not exactly lucrative,
but enough to cover some costs, like hosting and conferences. It
definitely wasn't enough to cover my own time investment; it's been a
labor of love. Now, other projects are gathering steam, and while I
intend to remain very active with worldKit, it will not be my only
focus.

There has been a lot of interest in worldKit, which is fantastic. Going
open source means that it has the ability to continue towards its
potential, and provide greater benefit for developers and users. I see
some sort of monetary support, for the project, as necessary going
forward. If a way is found to balance open source and for profit use,
then maybe its best to formally seperate my interests from worldKit's
interests.

The mysql license model may possibly be adequate here. Though I
understand that hasn't been without controversey.

Hope this is clear. Thoughts? I've just written in another email that I
may be barking up the wrong tree with this approach. One thing is for
sure, worldKit is now open source and isn't going back.

Best, Mikel