[worldKit-dev] Potential custom development

Ian Mayo ianmayo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 10:41:59 PDT 2007

Hi all,
my name is Ian Mayo, and I'm an independent software developer.  I maintain
and develop Debrief (www.debrief.info), an open-source software application
used for analysing maritime exercises.

There is a requirement for a "lite" version of the application
(Debrief-Lite), to be used for superficial replay of recorded "black box"
data.  I'm considering experimenting with a different business model for the
"lite" application: utilising third party expertise to overcome both
limitations in my available effort and lack of experience in the glossy
languages used for development of glamorous modern applications
(http://www.intelisea.com/).

A significant part of Debrief-Lite is an interactive geographic plot showing
vessel tracks plotted over a contextual chart backdrop.  The WorldKit
application meets most, if not all of this requirement.  The additional
parts of the application represent a time display/control, and a scrolling
"narrative" view of comments recorded during the exercise.  Overall the
application doesn't seem too dissimilar to a future version of WorldKit that
allows for offline replay of geoblogging data (yes, it would be much easier
via an online mashup - Debrief-Lite needs to run offline).

These additional components don't seem too dissimilar to the direction in
which WorldKit is moving.  To this end, I'd appreciate you considering the
set of high-level requirements I've recorded at
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhgkgg2m_12dx833n .  Where the Debrief-Lite
requirements overlap with your aspirations for WorldKit, I may well be able
to fund your development time.

I look forward to hearing from you - or other suggestions towards
Debrief-Lite Regards, Ian.

Ian Mayo
PlanetMayo Ltd
New technologies, implemented well.